The Purple Octopus Management philosophy is centred on a desire to provide our clients with the necessary tools and understanding of their emotional and physical reactions to trauma, culminating in a robust treatment pathway to relieve symptoms.
We provide our clients with a dedicated therapist, who will work with them throughout their journey. This continuity is vital, as it aids the therapeutic relationship and negates the need for repetition from the client.
Of equal importance is an easy-to-understand process. Our trauma treatment programme has been designed to educate, enable and empower our clients, and follows these basic steps:
- Evolution of our bodies and minds. An understanding of neurobiology, and how we adapt to environments. Understanding that dissociation is a set of skills that help people to stay alive in extreme situations.
- Learning more about what dissociation is – a normal consequence of trauma or high anxiety – can make it feel less mysterious and less threatening. During this phase we incorporate dissociation and the window of tolerance.
- Recognising your triggers. One good way to feel more in control of dissociation is to understand what triggers are, and in what ways you dissociate.
- Grounding exercises. Grounding techniques are all about bringing awareness back to the present moment when we are safe. One way of doing this is by using senses (sensory grounding): sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. Another way is by giving the right messages at the right times (cognitive grounding).
- Brain retraining. Survivors of trauma often dissociate because their brain automatically pays attention to ‘signs of danger’. By retraining our brain to automatically pay attention to signs that we are safe means we are less likely to dissociate.
- Memory processing. A number of therapies that involve ‘processing’ trauma memories can help to reduce dissociation. These include trauma-focused CBT, solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), prolonged exposure, and EMDR.
To find out more, contact us.